Jibstay

Monday, January 02, 2006

Aftermath of the Storm

I walked along the sand later in the afternoon with my camera and came across the guy who owned the nearest sailboat. "Will you be able to recover it?" I asked him. Wearied, he looked up at me blankly and said, "I hope so if I get some help before the tide comes in again." The boat was half filled with sand and the stern looked cracked. he had been digging most of the day and it hardly showed. The boat would probably not be seaworthy, but he wasn't giving up. Would I join him? In the fading light of the day would I go get my shovel and participate in a futile task? In the end I did not.
As a pastor I stroll the shoreline a lot. I stroll the shoreline of lives, often seeing the beautiful boats afloat out on their moorings or, even nicer, under full sail backlit by thesun. There is nothing so gorgeous as a sailboat with her sails up and filled and healed over under the power of the wind. Even sail boats at the docks or moorings can look so seren and graceful, quiet and peaceful. A far cry from the picture above; a picture of ruin and disaster, of brokenness and despair. Storms do that. So boats are in good harbors. Others have stronger anchors and better lines. And others beach and get pounded into pieces by the waves.
Storms do that to people also. But unlike the boats above, people are not totalled. People can recover, can be brought back out and patched up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker