Jibstay

Monday, February 27, 2006

Sand Empires


Yesterday we went on a picnic with friends from the church. Their two children, Oliver and Mercet, abandoned all thoughts of eating their lunch in preference for the call of the beach. Off they went, running up and down the beach, gathering stuff and making up games. Shortly they became engaged in an elaborate engineering feat. The tide was at its low ebb and they "found" and "island" and decided to stake it out and make it their own empire. Back and forth they ran, gathering sticks to mark out the perimeter, even finding a stick with a flag to post in the center. They did this for over an hour, ultimate naming it the Empire of M & O.
Then, like children, they went off to other things, leaving the outlined empire abandoned. Soon we saw a couple dancing slowly to their own music in the confines of the empire. "Hey, they can't do that!" said Oliver. "It wasn't meant for dancing". And then other beach strollers came upon the "empire" and photographed it and wondered at it. All the while the tide began to rise, creeeping in on the secure island. I asked my friend's daughter if she thought the boundary sticks would survive the tide and be there when the tide went out again. "Oh no" she said, "They'll probably all float away and we'll have to start all over." And with that she went back to more pressing interests.
I could not help reflect on those kids as I downloaded the photos into my computer this morning, a grey and drizzly Monday after a long and energy-taxing Sunday. It's one of those Mondays when pastors wonder about all the energy they invest in the Sunday services and events. How much is like empire building in the sand? How much of it lasts the tides of change and crises? After a week of reflection on the emerging nature of the church at the National Pastors' Conference in San Diego, I think these are important things to consider in these days. The tides are rising, bringing certain change. I really want the church I serve and my ministry to be about that which lasts and endures, that which counts in God's eyes. Sometimes, when I think about all the "comittees" and "boards" I have and am serving on, I wonder how much of it is sand scratching?

4 Comments:

At 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the parables of life... how much of the 'emergent' conversation is sand scratching... but it keeps us all honest... we have not arrived, but this one thing... forgetting what lies behind (i.e. M & O and their sand empire) we press on toward the goal of the high calling in Christ Jesus....

 
At 9:03 AM , Anonymous Scott Edwards said...

Congradulations on a well written, interesting and superb blog! Have you heard about the shocking news?

1000's of real people are earning quiet fortunes from home using the most ingenious automated system ever invented.

Are you curious to find out what this is all about?

Why not? You have nothing to lose.

You can sign up for this system absolutely free of charge and check it all out for yourself.

To start off, we have a video presentation for you to watch. Just turn up the speakers if you can, and click on the link below.

Have fun and open your mind.

It is all right here: home business idea international It successfully covers home business idea international related stuff.

Come and check it out now, Scott :-)

 
At 3:42 PM , Blogger Scott A. Edwards said...

Are you tired of getting nice compliments on your blog, when really you're not makeng the kind of money that you deserve? Now you can join a completely FREE program. No buying and No selling. FREE to join. All you do is refer customers. To get started fast, click here: sophisticated site. It pretty much covers sophisticated related stuff and it's FREE to join.

 
At 6:22 AM , Anonymous Scott Edwards said...

Hello my dear internet friends! I have some very exiting news. A lot of you know me pretty well now and have helped me a lot. I sincerely appreciate you and I want to do the same for you. Please take a moment to check out this excellent opportunity. I am so very proud to be a part of this business, I just don't have the space I need here to fully express my gratitude and I know you will feel the same way I do. You can even try it out at no charge. Take some time to explore and learn what could be one of the most significant aspects in your life. You will not be wasting your time and I will be honored for you to be my guest. You will love this... Please give me a chance to prove it to you. Click here: advanced It elegantly covers advanced related ideas and FREE information. Sincerely, Scott.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker