Jibstay

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Final Stretch toward Home

I can hardly believe that this in now our last full week in France! What a gift this has been for me (us)! I got my SACRED SPACE manuscript edited before the computer froze up. We have met a new group of friends. I was asked to preach this coming zeek at the St. Jean du Gard Church again (of course with a translator).
I have read voraciiously again, especially appreciating Martin Marty,s "A Short Hisotry of Christianity" and Greg Boyd,s "The Myth of a Christian Nation". The two converge in that they force me to evaluate the effectiveness of the Christian Church (not the faith, but its container the church). I see a simultaneously strong and committed core of believers in France, who love Jesus, yet don,t quite "get" why their church is so small in numbers. Then I had conversations with other emerging-type Christians who have no time to bother with the "burden" of Church tradition, never seeing it as a mysterious gift from God. Then I think about the USA,S dropping numbers of participating believers, What,s the deal here?
I am committed more than ever before that the local church is God,s plan for the redemption of humankind. But that plan needs some help, tweaking, adusting, and evaluation.

4 Comments:

At 7:56 AM , Anonymous kent said...

computer all back to normal again?

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Andrew Stonina said...

Hi Don,

I found you! Seriously, I have been following your trip and I can't wait, for the book and the movie!

 
At 5:53 AM , Blogger Scot McKnight said...

Good to follow your time in France, Don.

Too bad you have to go home to Santa Barbara! There are a lot of better places, it's just that I can't think of where they could be.

 
At 5:40 PM , Blogger Dan said...

Been a while since I checked in, Don, and i'm glad to hear your trip went so well. I'm wondering about the issue you raise... not a new one for sure... will continue to monitor your thoughts on this... Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker