Jibstay

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Old Dogs, New Clothes



One of the things I so love about the pastorate is the variety. There are no two days that are ever the same (maybe some finance committee meetings can seem to always be the same, in church after church). But what has really propelled me into more flexibility has been my move from the Midwest to California. And nowhere has that move been more evident than in the clothing I wear.
In Minnesota I was known as the tie and robe guy. I loved being able to wear the robe (really an alb) with the stoles of the seasons. I think I wore a tie to work five of the six days and often with a jacket or suit. I like ties, especially bright and crisp ties. But, by and large, ties do not fit here. If I just show up for lunch with someone from church wearing a tie, it's awkward, it's overdressed. So I save wearing ties for Sundays and big meetings when I can get away with it. On Sundays, I wear suits and jackets, with ties and both white and colored shirts ( new thing for me).
But a new level was reached last Wednesday when the occasion required a deep level of casualness. And it was a church event with about 140 others! Hmmm!

7 Comments:

At 2:44 PM , Anonymous ksorvik@salemcov.org said...

Looks good,Don! You could have made the change here, but I still do enjoy putting on the alb and stole on Sunday morning!

 
At 9:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 
At 12:32 AM , Anonymous Barb Trostad-Peterson said...

Don--

We were in line in a warm gym about a year ago, but never waited long enough to say goodbye. We hope you and Martha are enjoying California; it seems to suit you! I enjoyed reading your musings again. May God richly bless your work for His Kingdom.

 
At 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 4:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 
At 6:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker