Jibstay

Sunday, July 30, 2006

On My Knees


I did my first California act this week. I bought a boogy board. Our two kids were in and the water was great and the time just seemed right to go get one of those little boards to ride waves on. I don't have a clue about how it should be done, except from watching others find a wave cresting and then push off and ride it into the shore. It was really fun, Liz and Isaac and I spent several hours on the beach in a variety of wave conditions, being tossed and rolled in the surf.
What I did not expect was what it did to my knees. The waves pushed us right up on shore, where we had to get up and walk out again. Getting up meant starting on my knees. I did not think it was a big deal until this morning, when me knees popped loudly as I walked down the hall to get the coffee started. In the shower I saw that they were red and kind of scratched from all the abrasions of the sand. I have physical proof of time spent on my knees, but not in prayer.
As I wrtie this in the early hours (in California) before anyone arrives at church, I think I need to spend the same kind of time getting ready for, and even learning how, to worship on my knees. I need God to roll me in his waves of love right up onto the beach.
Pacem

2 Comments:

At 12:28 PM , Anonymous Doug Baker said...

Hey Don,

The water looks great! You've come a long way from Indiana! I took a look at your most recent confirmands, and I find it tough to think that I was that young 26 years ago when I was in what I expect must have been your first confirmation class. I too have come a long way, no longer being a pagan scoffer.
I have a couple of questions to ask you, if you would please email me at dougpbaker @ hotmail.com.
Now I will relax and meander through your blog pages for an hour or two.
Yours, Doug

 
At 7:10 PM , Blogger Andrew Stonina said...

Hang Ten! (I think that is right, but coming from MN who knows!) That is great, sounds like fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker