Jibstay

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Zidane: How Not to end a career


I have been following World Cup soccer since it began this year. We were in France when the games started and games were broadcast every day at 3pm, 6pm and 9pm, commercial free. Since I speak very little French, the running sports commentary did not distract me like the English does. I watched the older French team survive challenge after challenge up through the ranks of fresh legs and hungry teams.
No final could have been better than between France and Italy. I watched today's game eagerly as they battled back and forth, with superb defense and great footwork. I was ready for double-overtimes and the final won in a shoot-out. But my heart sank when I watched Zidane (a hero of mine) turn and stupidly head-butt an Italian player, earning him a red-card, expulsion, and leaving his team one man down and without his foot for the shoot-out. His last game of his professional career was marred and smeared by a stupid move. I'm sure words were said that provoked him. But come on! He is a professional athlete and should be used to it by now. This work-horse of a team captain, who set the tone and pace for the French team, self-destructed at the worst possible moment.
"How the mighty fall" I thought. How frail is human achievement and accolade. How fleeting is fame and how fragile is reputation and legacy. I hope only for good for Zidane, but I'm sad the way he closed the chapter of his professional life.

5 Comments:

At 11:15 PM , Blogger Lukester said...

I would have agreed, but after seeking understanding found some more interesting clips of Materazzi, the player whom Zidane headbutted...

One can see in a short amount of time that the man whom Zidane had the confrontation with is anything but innocent.

It is still unknown what Materazzi said to Zidane to provoke such an action, but if the words match the actions Materazzi has done in the past, I for one understand the actions of Zidane, who is also one of my heros.

 
At 9:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

 
At 4:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 3:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker