Jibstay

Sunday, September 03, 2006

What a Great Job!


I am so honored to have the privilege of being a pastor. Today I gave my camera to a young person in our church and told her to "shoot away" all day long. Being Labor Day weekend, we were not quite sure what to expect. We had a "ministry fair" for the 2nd week in a row, with tables in the courtyard promoting various ministries the church participates in. The college ministries hosted a college and young adult BBQ. But it was still Labor Day and a lot of families do a last of the year travel get-away.
But to our surprise, we were mobbed by all ages. Seniors came, empty nesters came, young families came and college students came (free food really does it).
But at the end of the day, what jazzes me the most is the kids who come down front for the children' sermon. They are eager and ready and now, after a year, beginning to trust me. It was what I missed the most about leaving Salem, the steady stream of young people every Sunday.
I like children's sermons because they force me to come to terms with the text in a manner communicable with children. It's not dumbing down and much as distilling and clarifying. Dr. Fred Holmgren and Dr. Fran Anderson taught me this in seminary back in 1976-80. Fred said in a clinic on Christian Education that if I could not translate "amphyctionic league" into terms understandable to an 8 year old, I was the one who did not understand the concept.
Now I love the energy that flows in those brief moments the kids come running up to the front and gather around. It's where all the action is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker