Jibstay

Saturday, December 23, 2006

"mas?"


The kids were sleeping in, so I ran an early errand to the grociery store, pharmacy, and dry cleaners. It was a beautiful morning here, so I took a diversion and drove down along the beach to see if there were any surfers (a few) and headed back. At a stop sign this strange car pulled in front of me and I followed it slowly down the avenue. I'd never seen one like this before. So I drove closer to get the name "Carrera GT" was emblazoned on the back panel. Carrera means Porche, so when I got home I googled what it was that I just saw. Amazed, the article said that this 558 HP car could reach speeds in excess of 200 mph at a sticker price of $333,000!!! What? Who were these two guys driving a car worth the price of a really nice home in the Midwest?
Then I remembered reading the opening article in this week's "Economist" about a new term economists are using to replace Gross Domestic Product (GDP) called General Well Being (GWB). It's a strategy to measure happiness within cultures. Not surprising is the fact that the more we have, the more we want. Luxuries become necessities, wants turn into needs, accessories become standard equipment, and high status items are marketed to everyone. But to what end? Does it increase the GWB? What will make us happy? How about 200 mph?

4 Comments:

At 4:00 PM , Blogger Gary Means said...

This makes me think of the two books:

Hungry Planet: What the World Eats

and

Material World: A Global Family Portrait

If you haven't seen these, they're very important books which address the core issues that you raise. They tell such a powerful story just through pictures, comparing the relative wealth/poverty of families around the globe. We have so much, even compared to many other industrialized nations.

 
At 4:37 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks for the recommendation Gary!

 
At 5:29 AM , Anonymous kent said...

I check the price on google, and I believe you had the discounted price, they indicated that the car is $484,000. Yours probably didn't come with leather.

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

I'm just trying to be responsible!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker