Jibstay

Thursday, December 28, 2006

My List of 10 for 2006

I have had a great time reading magazines, newspapers and blogs with various lists: hot seeling items, movies, trends, celebrities, and numbers. So, I have been mulling with my own list of 10 discoveries in 2006:
1. We are tired of misbehaving celebrities. Enough with Brittany, Mel, Paris, etc. These over-paid, indulged egos are tiring. Grow up!
2. We are excited about hands-on ministry and mission. Doing something tangible, practical, useful and needed is a hit. Meetings and brainstorming are out, doing is in.
3. Big is not better. There is a push-back to the big event: whether it's Promise-Keepers, CHIC, Annual Meetings, or Oz Fest. We like smaller, more intimate gatherings. The mega-church/mall/theme-park has had its day.
4. We have permission to try something new. Simply going back to the old template of ministries and organizational structures and refreshing them is not working. We are ready for new configurations.
5. We are learning to trust each other face-to-face. That means learning to trust new sounds and styles because I trust you. But I need to know you trust me and like me, and will listen to me.
6. We are immediately suspicious of all authorities.
7. We live comfortably with more screens on than ever before.
8. VC2 is in: (Viewer Generated Content). Who needs ads when you have YouTube?
9. Doing good is in in a big way (see Bono, Gates, Red).
10. Denominational structures are in real trouble (see The Long Tail by Anderson or The World is Flat by Friedman). The Covenant Bookstore shut down because Amazon is more competitive. Why do we need so much real estate in Chicago?

8 Comments:

At 7:17 PM , Anonymous kent said...

Here are a few more:

1. More is not better, it is just clutter. Even if it is expensive.
2. Tom Peters was right - the more high tech, the more high touch is valued.
3. Preferences are relationally based, I like that I like because of connection it makes with someone I care about.

 
At 9:16 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks! Add away!

 
At 7:53 AM , Blogger Rick said...

"We are immediately suspicious of all authorities."

HEY! Who authorized YOU to make a top ten list? What makes YOUR list so official? Who died and made YOU David Letterman?

Sorry. ; )

 
At 8:05 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Busted!

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger Gary Means said...

The Covenant Bookstore shut down!? That's kind of sad. I haven't been there for years. I think the last time I even contacted them was via the phone when I was looking for a copy of a book by P.P. Waldenstrom on the atonement. So that was before the internet. That reminds me, I should go over to Amazon, or Alibris, or ABE, to find that book.

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Gary Means said...

I looked. I'd forgotten how short it was. I was able to copy the whole thing from the web. Or, if I wanted, I could have paid $100 for a hardback version.

 
At 7:44 PM , Anonymous kent said...

One more - as we grow older, we do not change, we just become more so.

 
At 7:30 PM , Blogger Dan said...

"4. We have permission to try something new. Simply going back to the old template of ministries and organizational structures and refreshing them is not working. We are ready for new configurations."

I'll try to convince my friends here at SACCC that this is indeed true... we'll see... i hope #6 doesn't get in the way!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker