Jibstay

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Good Enough for God?


He was nicely dressed, blue suirt, matching tie, blue-tooth ear bud driving an Acura. He waved at me through the window as he came in. After I introduced myself, I knew what was coming next. "I'm getting married and wonder if you allow couples to rent the church?" So instead of a quick answer pointing him to our application forms, I asked "Do you have a minute to visit?" He came in and sat down and we talked.
He and his fiance attend another church in town. They would like their pastor to officiate. So I asked why they wanted to have their wedding here if they already have another church? If the church they choose to worship in is adequate for worshiping God, shouldn't it be adequate for getting married? Why should a wedding demand nicer space than worship? Just a thought.

5 Comments:

At 6:44 AM , Blogger Rick said...

Hi Don. I just wanted to comment that I am really enjoying your blog.

Part of my job is bringing freshness and creativity and art into our corporate worship experience, and I wanted to tell you that I compiled a document of words and pictures from your blog about the artwork you, Martha and others develop for your church altar, and I passed that on to a couple others in our church. Just wanted you to know I particularly appreciate that and hope you'll continue to share those artistic and thematic visions with us.

 
At 12:19 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks Rick. Help yourself to any ideas that work for worship.

 
At 12:54 PM , Anonymous Kris said...

So, what was the man's response?

 
At 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My niece and her fiancee, both Christians, will get married at another church because their church does not have a center aisle to walk down. Their are advantages and disadvantages to more contemporary church designs I guess.

 
At 5:26 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

But the question I would like to raise regards the obligation of the church. Does a local church have a moral obligation to allow its facility to be used by couples because it's nicer and prettier?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker