Jibstay

Thursday, March 29, 2007

To hug my kids


Yesterday was totally wacky. After the Council meeting, described below, I went home jubilant about our decision, so jubilant I could not go to sleep. I tried hard knowing that I had to wake up at 4:15 am for a 5:45 flight out of Santa Barbara for Los Angeles, to connect to a flight to Minneapolis via Chicago. It was a long day of flying on little sleep. But there at the airport baggage counter stood Isaac, scanning the crowd for his old dad. When he saw me, he smiled and gave me one of his big (I mean BIG) hugs. Nothing in the world feels better than being hugged by your own kids.
We drove through the cold and grey late afternoon to a Minneapolis coffee shop where we would meet up with Liz and her new friend Jeff (who actually wanted to meet me!!). When I saw Liz, another great hug. The coffee shop/restaurant was understaffed, so Jeff cooked our dinner with Liz's help and we briefly chatted until he (Jeff) was called back into the kitchen to help with an avalanche of customers.
So I was left with my two kids, on a dreary March night in Minneapolis...nothing could be finer! We then drove to my parent's condo in Golden Valley and visited with them. They were as delighted with my hugging of them as I was with my kids hugging me! It was a mini-love fest. We laughed, we chatted, we ate ice cream (I don't like ice cream at night, but my mom pressed me). So I'm now in Isaac's house with a cup of coffee, getting ready to change and head off to see Liz teach school for the morning, lunch with my brother Tim who pastors Bloomington Covenant and then the afternoon with my folks and dinnet at Covenant Village with my folks and Isaac. Then tonight, Liz wants me and Isaac to watch her and Jeff dance at some club. Dance? Me? I'll watch, but I warned her not to try to get me to dance. I'll let you know!

1 Comments:

At 8:24 PM , Blogger simplicity said...

Don, it looks like you're having a wonderful visit with your kids and your parents. I love the way you wrote this post about your love for your children and their hugs. So special.

I also chuckled about your dance comment! It made me smile!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker