Jibstay

Saturday, August 18, 2007

It Baffles Me


It was a beautiful day yesterday. Martha and I took a long walk on the beach together. Up ahead two guys were hitting a volleyball back and forth. Between them were their two pit bulls, eagerly bouncing and jumping at the ball. Now this is a beach that has posted signs declaring all dogs must be on leashes. When the volleyball bounced our way, so too did the dogs and Martha shrieked. The guys were almost upset at Martha for her fear. "They wouldn't hurt you" one said. "This is a leashed-beach" I replied. "What did you say?" the other guy asked, defensively. "It's a leashed beach. Read the sign." and we walked off, Martha squeezing my hand tightly.
Why do guys like these think we delight in watching their dogs run leash-free on the beach? There are places to let dogs run free, and as a former dog owner, I loved those places where our dog could take off on a run. But a crowded beach? It baffles me.

3 Comments:

At 5:59 PM , Blogger simplicity said...

Don, I can't understand why people are so rude and non-understanding when it comes to their pets and other people.

I actually just had an experience this last week that I wrote about where a rottweiller chased Tyler. Also a 7 year old boy in MPLS was killed by his family pit bull earlier this week.

I don't blame Martha for being nervous, I'm with her!

 
At 2:49 PM , Blogger Andrew Stonina said...

I think that your story implies a bigger problem in all of society that people can do whatever they want whenever they want despite rules being in place. These kinds of people see themselves as being above the law and therefore they do not have to obey them because the laws are for everybody else.
(It is also possible that the men were a part of PETA and do not believe in leashes!) Just kidding.

Just look at the nations roadways and how people drive--usually faster then the speed limit, including in construction zones.

The other possiblility, and I am not saying this to seriously, but you do live in California. I think people see themselves as somehow being "important" and because the stars get away with things, even when they are caught, that they will be treated the same way.

 
At 3:55 PM , Blogger kent said...

It is alwasy amazing how people can truly believe they are the center of the universe.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker