Jibstay

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Blog Boundaries

Should a blog be a weapon? Should a pastor-authored blog be a bully-pulpit to denounce all those who disagree with him/her? Should a blog be a place from which we can take pot shots at former leaders and critics? No, that would be pastorally unethical. A blog should be a place of the present where we reflect on ideas, trends and concerns that intersect our lives now, not replaying battles from the past.
Pastoral ethics dictate that we must leave one church to go to the next. We must leave one set of issues and challenges so we can face ones in our next parish. We must leave hurts, wounds and loves, so that we can be available and present to the church to which we are called.
Blogs should never be a veiled way of influencing the decision-making process of one's successor or weighing in on issues the pastor feels deeply about. A blog should not be a way of taking a back-handed swipe at one's predecessor.
But a blog must also have the freedom to speak to issues that cut through the heart of the pastor/blogger. A blog must have the freedom to raise uncomfortable questions and question current practices in our local church, our society, and in our denomination.
I have been rightly questioned about my level of maturity and level-headedness in some of the topics I blog about. Most criticisms are valid, I have a long way to go before I fully grow up. And along the way I will keep asking questions, posing thoughts, and ruffling feathers.

3 Comments:

At 7:28 AM , Blogger Rick said...

I don't recall ever having the experience of reading a post and thinking "Whoa, Don's way out of line on this one". Your content strikes me a very balanced and very refelective of who you are.

 
At 8:04 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks Rick. I am responding to a reader who thought I was going somewhere I never intended to go and so I felt the need to establish my own blogging boundaries.

 
At 8:00 AM , Blogger kent said...

I have never seen you as beeing one to attack. Annoying? Obtuse? Ambidextrous? Sure, but not attacking.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker