Jibstay

Friday, September 28, 2007

Putting Limits on God


Sunday's text is Acts 10:1-11:18, the story of the conversion of Cornelius...and Peter. Yes, Peter was already a believer, but he needed some further conversions from Law into Grace. The altar-piece is a cornucopia of what Peter would not ever eat: birds, shell-fish and creepy things. No way, never, not me, not going there, thank you very much!
That's been my reaction to a number of God's initiatives in my life. Sorry God, got the wrong guy. I'm not wired, suited, gifted or really even interested in going there and doing that. That was the case with of first church. Martha declared one July driving through southern Indiana "No way are we EVER going to live in the hot, flat state." Guess where our first church was? Lafayette, Indiana. I said that about wearing robes and about not wearing robes. I said that about moving to California and I've said that about learning to play golf. Peter is really right when he begins his sermon to Cornelius by saying "God is not a respecter of persons." Was Peter smiling to himself when he thought about the ways he set limits on what God could do with his life?
When Christians (especially my pastor friends) forcefully declare what they will and will not do in and for the church, I just wonder about the wisdom of trying to limit God?

4 Comments:

At 7:49 PM , Blogger Jim Martin said...

Donn,
A very good post that has caused me to think. Thanks.

 
At 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...made me laugh...

 
At 1:41 PM , Blogger kent said...

I will never serve and Church Aruba!!! :)

 
At 1:42 PM , Blogger kent said...

Ahhh someday I will learn to type.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker