Jibstay

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Back Where I Belong


It's still dark outside. I got up around 5 am unable to sleep any more. Part of it is rewiring my body clock to California time from Israel time. But it's more than that. I'm back where I belong and can't wait toget into the office and work on the sermon for Sunday and reading and praying. Traveling was so wonderful, but also a reminder of who I am and what I'm called to do. I'm a pastor of a local church situated at an address. I serve a neighborhood and community. There is a routine and calendar for our life togethr, filled with the rhythms of worship and business, budgets and hospital calls, staffing and planning, weddings and funerals, Confirmation and counseling, of praying and reading in solitude and gathering in groups for fun and recreation.
I think one of the deep values of travel for me is the reappreciation of my calling and identity. When I go to meetings in Chicago with friends and colleagues, working on important tasks for our denomination, I get restless to get home where I belong. When I travel to conferences for education and renewal, I usually leave early because I can't wait to get back home where I belong. When we take our longed for trips to France for extended chunks of time, I am eager during the last week or so to get on the plane and get back to where I belong and doing what I'm called to do.
This morning in the dark I am grateful for this church who took a risk in calling me to be their pastor. It's where I belong.

1 Comments:

At 8:33 AM , Blogger Dan said...

Welcome home!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker