Jibstay

Monday, October 29, 2007

Dentist Avoidance


I have friends who are dentists. Dentists are good people. Dentistry is important and necessary medicine. I hate dentist offices. Since I was a little boy I have feared the dentist office more than any medicine. Maybe it was too many drillings with insufficient anesthesia. I associate dentistry with pain, mouth pain. So I have avoided the visit to the dentist till the last possible moment, like when a tooth chipped or filling fell out.
But thanks be to God, I have a good wife who is on me about my avoidance behavior and the need to take care of my mouth. So today began my long journey back to dental hygiene. I sat in this chair 3 hours, getting two fillings repaired/replaced and a crown done on one old mangled molar. Then I went to they hygienist, who rubbed, scraped and sand-blasted away about 5 years of stains. It's amazing what they got done. I do feel better. The anesthesia worked well. My teeth are cleaner and whiter than I ever remember them being.
Why did I put it off so long? They are expecting to have a long...and regular relationship with me now. In a sense, the whole thing today was kind of spiritual. I know people who are avoiding God and avoiding church with all sorts of good and bad reasons. They are hungry for God, but afraid of some pain they went through a long time ago that keeps them away from the church. I hope I am as gentle with them when I see them as the dental staff was with me.

4 Comments:

At 7:55 PM , Blogger simplicity said...

Glad I'm not the only one who avoids going to the dentist...

 
At 5:40 AM , Blogger kent said...

You do have that forlorn look about you. But don't fear pain is temporary. Root canals aren't that bad - most of the time, well some of the time.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger Andrew Stonina said...

I have always hated going to the dentist also, but it is the dreaded 2nd visit--the one where they say you have to come back to get work done, that is even worse!

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger Rev. Johnny Agurkis said...

We are brothers in more ways than one! If not for an amazing dentist here at my present church who has gotten me over my dentist-phobia, I wouldn't have a tooth left in my mouth!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker