Jibstay

Monday, October 08, 2007

Enough Water Bottles?


We cleaned up the sanctuary Sunday after worship for a wedding in the afternoon. One of the things I kept picking up was empty and half-empty water bottles. As I walked through downtown Santa Barbara this afternoon, I thought people must be preparing for a desert hike with all the water bottles they carried, dangled or sucked on. Are we really that dehydrated? Do we need tall Nalgene bottles with us for a staff meeting or committee meeting? Is the bottle the new prop?
What would happen to a college student who went into a class without a water bottle? Slowly they would begin to wrinkle and their skin would dry up and they would deflate into a prune. Now I'm really not one to talk, given the volume of coffee I consume. But I don't carry an insulated coffee cup with me everywhere. My reasons are much more practical than esthetic. Coffee in...coffee out. What happened to the drinking fountain?

4 Comments:

At 5:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting study was done challenging the whole idea of "8 glases a day" which many of us have heard is what we need for optimal health and hydration. In the end the study showed that no such amount of water was really necessary on a daily basis. (I felt vindicated because I too am a coffee drinker like you!)
Carolyn (your stewardship buddy)

 
At 6:23 AM , Blogger Kim said...

Now I'm really not one to talk, given the volume of coffee I consume. But I don't carry an insulated coffee cup with me everywhere.

I do! Funny story, a number of years ago when Alan Hearl was our Sr. Pastor, I was rehearsing with the team one Sunday morning, and I came in with my insulated cup like I do every morning, and I placed it on the pulpit TEMPORARILY...or at least that was the plan. Later in the service, when Pastor Hearl got up to preach - he got to the pulpit, looked (or should I say mildly glared) down a bit to the right, and then continued on with his sermon. I had forgotten to remove my cup from the pulpit - thankfully, no one in the congregation could see it, and he was gracious enough to not mention it to me. LOL

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger Dan said...

As I read a smile forms on my face that turns to a soft laugh that morphs into a nervous giggle of emparrasement as I become aware of the near empty WATER BOTTLE out of the corner of my eye... but then i remember that that bottle has been sitting on my desk for weeks as I refill it over and over... trying desperately to obey the voice of distant voices from my childhood- "YOU NEED TO DRINK 8 GLASSES OF WATER A DAY!"

And now Carolyn points out another study that exposses this truth about water to be but one more myth! My world is rocked again... ah but I have hope... I'm sure that yet another study will be done that will vindicate the water myth... then again, maybe I should move on to that wonderful new product of more watery water that I've been noticing of late... Now, that makes me wonder, what would coffee be like if it were brewed in that new waterer water!

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Andrew Stonina said...

I have never been one for fads. That is what I think this whole water bottle, bottled water bit is about. I think that it is a fad that says something, but I am not sure what. I think that there is some individualism attached to it because the bottles come in different colors and one sees them covered in stickers. I know I wouldn't pay for a plastic bottle and then cover it in stickers.

I also do not think that it is neccessarily about health, that may be the impression that one is giving, but I think it is a person just trying to flush out all the chemicals from coffee and pop!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker