Jibstay

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Galatians 5:1 Images of Freedom


Freedom is a loaded word. For those of us in the USA, it is a political banner, an advertising come-one, a life-style descriptor and an attitude. Freedom has a different orientation with the Apostle Paul and the early church. Freedom is the outworking of grace. We are saved by God's grace; something we cannot earn, deserve or attain. It's a gift pure and simple. We can't get to salvation on our own. Salvation comes to us in God's gift of Christ. Freedom is how Paul calls us to live out God's saving grace.
In Galatians 5:1 Paul calls us not to fall back into slavery, but move ahead into servant love for each other.
The powerful image on the altar is of the shattered chains of slavery on the cornerstone of Christ. Beside the cornerstone is the basin and the bowl, the image of servanthood Paul calls the early Christians and us to live out.
The question I mull around is about the church today, the church I serve, the life I live. Is it free? Am I living a life of servant freedom or selfish consumption? Is my call, my vocation about what I get out of it, how well I'm paid and taken care of, how fulfilled and happy I am, or is it about serving others in selfless love?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker