Jibstay

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween & Youth Pastors


We've never been real big on Halloween. Oh, when we had kids at home we would dress them up and walk them through the streets to church members' and neighbors' homes with pillow-cases for their "loot." One of us (usually Martha) would stay behind and hand out treat to church families with their children and neighbors we knew.
But in Santa Barbara, up in the hills, we buy our candy and wait. Nobody comes to our house. Maybe because our child-rearing days are gone or, more likely, because we have no neighbors within walking distance. To get to our house you have to drive and plan to come. Besides, it's on the church property. So, tonight our bowl went untouched until the high school group came back from their trick-or-treating for canned goods for the food bank. When I came out with the bowl of candy below, they all jumped to get their treats. I felt like a dad again!

6 Comments:

At 9:22 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Ewwwww, did anyone choose the Dots? Do people still eat those?

Happy Halloween, Pastor Johnson...:)

*Are* you a pastor?

 
At 11:02 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

yes, I am really a pastor

 
At 11:15 AM , Blogger Christine said...

I just meant...are pastors like priests? They are...right?

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Yes, pastors are like priests. Priest is a title used more commonly within the Roman Catholic, Orthodox and Episcopalian/Anglican denominations and pastor is more of a Protestant term. Pastor means "shepherd" while priest is more of an intermediary between God and humanity. Does that help?

 
At 6:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Don is a real pastor! He used to be one of my pastors in MN. Hi Don, Nan T here. Thought I'd finally come out from "lurking" your sight. Have enjoyed reading all your posts, you have a way of writing that I enjoy reading. Thought I'd let you know I have cancer, began in bronchial lymph nodes, by the time it was found it had metastisized to my hip bonds, spine and liver so......the rest of the story. I am finishing my 2nd to last chemo and then perhaps some trial but working on quality of life right now. Glad you are enjoying it in California. My best to you.

 
At 10:26 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks Nan for loging in. God bless you as you fight the beast.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker