Jibstay

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Question

Tonight is one of those wonderful nights with a great home-cooked meal, a fire in the fireplace, and the great sound of the "Frames" newest album "The Cost" playing. I reviewed "Once" the movie some days ago. Well, today I was visiting with Josh Shelton (of the famous Ben&Eric Youtube fame with "My Name is Lisa"). Josh and his brother do short-movies in LA and are totally into the movie world. Josh told me today on the patio over coffee that he thinks "Once" is the best movie he has seen all year (and he and Ben see several movies a week all year long!) Go rent the movie! Glen Hansard will grow on you.
So, anyway, I'm in this Sunday evening zone of great music, company (Martha) and a full belly of her cooking and I open the laptop to get email from the day. 
A friend from 30 years ago emailed me thanking me for a question I asked her 30 years ago. I don't want to get into the details because she reads the blog and I value her privacy. But what amazed me, as a professional preacher and word-maker, is the power of a question over time. "Where are you Adam?" "Who told you you were naked?" "Where is your brother?" "Do you want to get well?" 
It's the question that sticks to the soul and burrows deeply over time. Questions have so much more power than declarative statements. Questions invite the listener/reader in to participate. Because a question without waiting for an answer is a ruse. 
Often I think my words, my sermons, the stuff I crank our does not work, will not have an impact, does not really matter. Then this email about a 30-year old question. Wow!! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker