Jibstay

Thursday, December 13, 2007

White Space: where's yours?


The NYT's today had a back page article about "white space." Normally I think of Google, Apple, sleek graphics that allow wide margins of empty space. But this white space is a new use for uninterrupted time and places/times conducive to real creativity. Most of those interviewed said it is not the office and not at work. Some creative types go to work and open their offices, hanging up a coat and then vanishing to a place with wifi to get real work done.
As I read the article I wondered how many pastors find the church anything but white space? How many of us live lives with little white space, but instead look like pages with overlapping type and no margins? Being a full-time pastor and empty-nest parent makes whites space a bit easier. But when it does not happen, I realize that I am my own worst enemy. I self-clutter and self-distract. Why is it so hard to turn the computer completely off and turn off the cell-phone?
Would 40 years of wandering be quality white space? How about the belly of the whale? Is 40 days in the wilderness good white space time? Is white space a choice, necessity, or something thrust onto us, like waiting for flights?

1 Comments:

At 11:01 PM , Blogger Gary Means said...

Don, I can really relate to your words, "I self-clutter and self-distract."

You asked, "Is white space a choice, necessity, or something thrust onto us, like waiting for flights?"

I'm a "Creative Director" for a software company. I "have to" be creative. It is my "job". And yet when I read that definition of white space, it struck me that it's something I seldom practice. I think for me, the difference is that when I am "creative" at work, I have an objective. I am working to express the company's agenda. But when I read that definition of white space, it strikes me as a time for personal expression, for exercising my soul. At its worst, my creativity is an act of the prostitution of my soul.

I've already written a lot, otherwise I'd take a stab at the other questions you ask. It's been a long time since I've visited, but, just like before, I find a great post which makes me think.

Blessings to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker