Jibstay

Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Wedding Gift

We were seated with the grandparents of the bride and groom at the rehearsal dinner. Two were from town, two came from Arizona, and one grandmother came from Davenport, Iowa. Our table was not the liveliest table, but soon became the deepest. The grandmother from Iowa sat next to me and because of the noise in the room, we visited for most of the dinner. 
I knew she was the "religious" one of the family because of a spiritual autobiography I had the couple do with me months ago. The first question is: what have you learned about God from watching your grandparents? She was identified as very religious. One year ago she lost her husband of 50+ years to a terrible brain tumor. And now she was living with an inoperable tumor on the pituitary gland that was turning her gradually blind and would kill her. But she was so alive as she told me about her love of Scripture and hope in Jesus. She was bubbly and fun, but real and deep. She was a battle-scarred veteran of life and a seasoned disciple of Jesus.
Just before leaving the dinner, she leaned over and said: "Do you know what they asked as a wedding present from me?" Of course I did not know so I said "What did they ask?" "They wanted me to give them my old, marked up Bible. Isn't that terrific?" She said. 
I thought to myself last night and today, that couple is getting a tremendous wedding gift!

2 Comments:

At 5:41 PM , Blogger Katie said...

That is the sweetest story that I have read/heard in a long time. I have my Grandfather's old written up Bible too and it is one of my favorite most treasured possessions. Congrats to the newlyweds!

 
At 3:43 AM , Anonymous Chazney said...

Interesting story… I am impressed.. My Grandfather gifted me a old book on my wedding. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker