Jibstay

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Clintons' Taxes

I'm reading with interest the various responses to the amount of money the Clintons have made post-presidency. It's a lot of money! But what hits me is the amount (percentage) they gave away: almost a tithe (10%). That's pretty good. A lot better than Obama or Al Gore or the President or Vice President.
What would happen if all pastors IRS documents were open information to their churches. How much do we give away? How well do we do? What if all elected denominational leaders had to disclose their tax information as well? What stories would they tell? It must made for some interesting pondering as I extrapolated about all this.

5 Comments:

At 9:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

our giving amounted to 19% in 2007... this is high for us we are more typically in the 12-15% range... but hey, whose counting!

 
At 8:01 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Congratulations! That puts you ahead of the norm.

 
At 3:57 PM , Blogger Andrew Stonina said...

As you have said, the most truthful way a congregation will know the giving of a pastor is to have their tax forms released, but what about those who do not list their charitable giving?

What do you think about not declaring charitable giving?

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger Dan said...

andrew, that was an issue we discussed in our late teens believe it or not! One opinion was that it was not appropriate. another was that it allowed for greater giving since it reduced the amount that wnet to the gov in taxes which then increased the amount available to give.

It was all academic at the time and for quite a few years after since it made no sense for any of us to itemize deductions! Non of us had that kind of income nor the kind of deductible expenses to begin with... it's not about all that anyway. My tax burden has to do with the SSI taxes anyway which are unaffected by deductions anyway.

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Andrew Stonina said...

Interesting, I did not know that this had been an ongoing issue. Since I started receiving giving statements from church I have been wondering about that. I guess my thinking is parallel to yours. Now that I am a pastor I pay the full 15%+ that all workers pay, although it is matched by the church, so I really only pay a little over 7.5%; but I do not make enough to be able to declare it.

Thank you for your perspective!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker