Jibstay

Monday, May 05, 2008

Life Without Cell Phone

Mission Springs Camp in Scott Valley, CA is a wonderful camp, nestled in the tall redwoods and cool mists. The food is fabulous and my room is comfortable. It even has free wi-fi, but no T-Mobile cell service. So I turned my phone off. It was weird to do, almost feeling irresponsible. What if someone needs me? What if they don't? The camp has a phone number and directory assistance can track me down here. But it's that sense of being immediately connected that I miss. It's that immediate availability that's my problem. I've become too used to (addicted to) being instantly interrupted. I cannot ignore the buzzing phone and I need to read all incoming emails, which means I am quickly distracted from conversations at the moment and people in the present.
As I get ready for France this summer, I plan to wean myself from the network; from Drudge report, from my favorite bloggers, from Google, and all the other places that I like to go and read and research. Sustained, quiet thought is something I've let go and need to recapture. Maybe I will even learn to write a letter!

2 Comments:

At 9:47 AM , Blogger Andrew Stonina said...

Good for you! Does anybody really need somebody to be available 24/7? Personally, I am glad that I do not get cell phone service out here. I think that we forget that for thousands of years prior to the cell phone the only modes of communication were to write or to personally see somebody. I wonder what our world would be like if we went back to that way of life?

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Reading??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker