Jibstay

Friday, May 16, 2008

Pope Benedict's Cool Word

"Diachronic Koinonia" smacked my on the side of my head. What a cool word. It was the Pope's answer to the problem of Protestantism. We do not have enough "diachronic koinonia" or fellowship across time. Each new denomination, each new church, each new pastor invents their own theology without keeping in fellowship with their long-dead friends. This word made special sense as I worked on the Trinity Sunday texts and had to go back and read about Arius and Eusebius, Alexander and Constantine, homo-ousia and homoi-ousia. Our dead friends have a lot to say to us today.

1 Comments:

At 6:59 PM , Blogger Beth B said...

Amen!

I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church, and made my commitment to Christ within that fellowship. However, I knew something was wrong when I was 13 years old, and asked our Sunday school teacher where Baptists came from, and was told, "Our church was founded by John the Baptist!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker