Jibstay

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sobriety = Truthfulness

I was talking with a guy today who is in the midst of a recovery process. He asked me if I knew the definition of sobriety. My immediate impulse was "yes", it's not ingesting those chemicals that enable addiction (alcohol, cocaine, heroin, ....). He said that the in-patient director used the phrase "sobriety is truthfulness: truthfulness with the group, sponsor, family, self, God" Boom! That's a powerful twist, away from the object onto the heart. If I am living truthfully, with no lies and secrets, is that sobriety?

5 Comments:

At 4:47 PM , Blogger MichaelGP said...

Yes, but you also must accept the truth when given to you. Oouch.

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Is accepting truth part of truthfulness?

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger MichaelGP said...

I'm thinking yes, possibly the hard part.

 
At 7:39 PM , Anonymous Rahab said...

Amen!! I wonder if people took this word Sobriety = Truthfulness much more seriously how tranquile perhaps our surroundings would be...therefore, having sifficient meaning. NOT just the...must have a good attitude first....try instead taht "Truth Matters"... and it should. "R"

 
At 7:58 PM , Anonymous Rahab said...

Ooops!! Sorry for small type-O's, I can definately see that I need glasses...again, again, and again. But, one more time I'll make mention of the significance of Truth-and it's adherence to life and others all around us. When we deny and skirt around the facts of what is really real....do we not at all understand that God's judgements prevail. He loves us with an understanding...but, not the ones of continual excuses (from leaders-lies) that will in the end be devistating...it takes it's toll on all - - but mostly God's heart stays broken, and people loose their "Trust and Hope". This is not good. Sobriety matters in God's Eyes & mine...Good Evening....."R"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker