Jibstay

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

On Cheeses


There is cheese and then, there is cheese. This week we had cheese. We went to the Saturday open-air market and bought three kinds of cheese: A Roquefort cheese called “Papillon”, a tombe chevre (hard goat cheese), a morbier (with a layer of ash between the two cheeses) and six rounds of creamy, fresh chevre goat-cheese from a farming family in the church named Chabrol.
The meal Martha made was good, but the cheese took the prize. Martha and I sat and ate slice after slice of baguette loaded with these different kinds of cheeses till we became giddy (drunk with cheese?).
Why the difference? We buy these same types in the USA, both in Minnesota and California. The difference is in the freshness. The flavors jump out and actually smack you in the head (nose and tongue) as you take a bite. The smells hang around your mouth and fill your brains with colors and memories. No kidding, these cheeses do something!
When I asked Martha why, her take is that the French are free to make cheese with raw milk, unpasteurized, that allows the bacteria and other good stuff to make the really good tastes and smells.
I don’t know. I’m not that smart about chemistry and the like. I just know that I will be eating all the cheese I can get while I’m here.

3 Comments:

At 5:36 AM , Blogger Scot McKnight said...

I want to know if the shop itself reeked with the frangrance (odor) of the cheeses?

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger kent said...

ahh the joys of stinky cheese.

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

No we bought it at an outdoor's market.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker