Jibstay

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

33 years

We're taking the day off together. Today marks 33 years that Martha and I have been married. Yikes! That's a long time, longer than we were single. But it also seems like yesterday when we walked through the woods of Camp Hanover in Virginia at an outdoor service and pledged our vows to each other. But since that day three wonderful children were born and raised and released on their own, seven different states were our places of residence, six churches allowed me to be their intern, youth pastor and pastor, and two institutions have hired Martha to teach art, six great trips to France, two trips to Africa to teach, and six church tours to Israel, Greece, Turkey, Italy and Germany, and countless really good good friends to join us in the journey.
So what are we going to do? We're planning on what we do best, wandering a city and looking at art, and getting a really good meal somewhere we don't know about yet.
The text I'm mulling on preaching for Sunday is Psalm 105:1-6 where it is a call for Israel to "remember" God's good acts in their lives. I guess a good anniversary is remembering the incredible good gifts my wife has been giving me for 33 years and for God's sustaining graciousness to us both (especially giving her patience with me!).

4 Comments:

At 10:36 AM , Blogger Rick said...

Most hearty congratulations to you both. May God's blessings fill the latter part more than the first. Alicia and I follow the path some 4 1/2 years behind you.

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Lukester said...

congrats rents! you guys have my continued support and amazement that you continue to put up with each other's craziness!

 
At 7:34 PM , Anonymous Rahab said...

A definate Congratulations is in order!!!! Wow...33 heavenly wonderful years....wifes are lovely people ... made of patience , beauty, and more.......By the way...I like what you wrote...very sincere for her...and romantic too. Blessings to you both!

 
At 11:55 AM , Anonymous Rev. Doug Moss said...

And I wasn't invited?

I remember walking home from John Marshall High School, God knows how many years ago, with my buddy Donn Johnson. I had been trying to date my very dear friend Martha for a few months, but was having great difficulty balancing teenage hormonal impulses with genuine affection. Finally (as I explained to Donn) I decided that - to preserve our friendship - Martha and I better stop dating.

Excitedly, Donn asked "Would you mind, then, if I took her out?"

I grinned; I knew he was fond of her, too, and I do not exaggerate when I say that I knew even then that something would come of it. I think my response was something like "Sure, that would be great; I think she'd love it!"

But 33 years of marriage? I cannot be held accountable.

Blessings. Happy to have "found" you on Facebook.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker