Jibstay

Monday, September 22, 2008

iPhone Woes


Don't drop your iPhone! My sons bought me a nice little iPhone a couple of weeks ago. I love it! It is so much more than a phone! But because I am techno-cluncky, they also purchased AppleCare for me, because I break things. And I did. It slipped out of my shirt pocket on the driveway and the screen cracked. I felt sick. But Isaac said not to worry, that's what AppleCare is for. He paid big bugs to add it to the cost of the phone.
So I went to the Apple Store in Thousand Oaks and they said, "No" accidental damage like dropping it is not covered. They will not repair it. The local Apple repair store won't touch it because then it would void the warranty. When I asked the Apple guy what I should do, he said either buy insurance on it (and then claim it fell after 30 days of the insurance taking effect(...isn't that lying?), live with the cracked screen, or buy a new phone for $400 (since AT&T subsidized the cost for new customers).
What a rip-off! The screen is basically the one thing that can be broken and neither Apple nor the support stores will touch the screen. Oh I can buy screens and try to disassemble the phone myself and then insert a screen (yeah, right!).
But Isaac found a place in Kansas City that will send me a mailer and repair the screen in 24 hours for about $150. That seems the best deal so far.
For a company I have loved for its service for many years, this has been deeply disappointing. Shame on you Steve Jobs!

3 Comments:

At 6:08 AM , Blogger Laura123 said...

try ipodjuice they sell iphone screens too:

http://www.ipodjuice.com/iphone-battery-replacement-products.htm

or for the screens:

http://www.ipodjuice.com/apple-iphone-repair.htm

hope that helps

 
At 6:23 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks!

 
At 11:02 AM , Blogger Beth B said...

Oh, Donn, what a nightmare. I'm so sorry for this and hope you can get things straightened out. By the way, have you read Daniel Lyon's "One Bad Apple" in the September 15 Newsweek?
http://www.newsweek.com/id/
157545

Shame on you Steve Jobs indeed!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker