Jibstay

Thursday, September 25, 2008

No Cell Phone


When I dropped the FedEx box in the mail box yesterday, sending my iPhone off to get repaired, I did not realize what that would do. No cell phone is connected to me right now. That is new. I have had a cell phone close to me since 1992, sixteen years. Oh, I've traveled to other countries for times without a cell phone, but never while working. I've always been reach-able and always able to reach out, until now.
You notice addictions when you take them away. This is strange space to not have a cell phone going. It's almost like a fast. What would happen if church leaders gave up cell phone use for Lent? Could you go 40 days without using a cell phone? It's a lot quieter in my office today.

3 Comments:

At 6:27 PM , Blogger preacherman said...

Interesting.
Thanks for sharing this post with us.
I enjoyed reading your blog.
Keep up the great work!
Hope you have a blessed weekend.

 
At 6:53 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Wow, that is a good question. I know that I use my cell phone a lot. (Granted we do not have a house phone though.) Could I go the 40 days during Lent without my cell phone, unless in time of emergency? I will try to remember that for next year and give it a try.

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger John Rodkey said...

I find that the addiction I struggle with most is email. I have processed a huge amount over the last two decades... I added it up about a year ago, and it averaged 250 emails a day, day in, day out.
That's almost a million mails per decade. Or looking at it another way, one every 6 seconds.
You let it go for a day, and it takes an hour to catch up. A week, and a day is spent dealing with what is now old news.

So it comes vacation time: do the emailers know or care that I'm off work? Not a bit of it. It becomes easier to never really get away from the email - easier to maintain a habit of reading email whenever there's nothing else to do. Is this good for a spiritually reflective life? Not at all. But like Charlie Chaplin in 'Modern Life', you can't get behind twisting the bolts on the widget, or the widgets will bury you.

John

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker