Jibstay

Friday, September 05, 2008

Pay Attention!


Ezekiel 33:7-11 is the text where God tells Ezekiel that he is appointing Ezekiel as God's "watchman" (or sentinel) over Israel. A word like "watchman" is a hazardous word to mull around and take with you into any and all situations: What am I watching here? What am I missing? Who is watching me? What do others watch about me? What sorts of things do I like to watch? What sorts of things do I hate watching? How alert am I? How easily distracted am I from watching? What's the difference between watching and browsing? How come I like to watch others, but get irritable when others watch me...especially when they point out some of my many faults? What's the difference between watching and criticizing? Where is the good news in the watchman's task?

2 Comments:

At 2:48 PM , Blogger Dan said...

I hated the mid-watch! Midnight to 4:00am! Worst hours to stand watch in my book... hard to stay alert during those wee hours... easy to miss things... and I always ended up on that watch!!! In my 2 years of active duty I had the 4:00-8:00am once and never got the 4:00-8:00pm or 8:00 to midnight watches... and I always had an outside watch... never drew barracks watch! Not that that has anything to do with the Ezekiel watch!

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks Dan, What an insight!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker