Jibstay

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Should Pastors be Interviewed?

In Saturday's New York Times there is an extended article from the front page on Sarah Palin's spiritual life. Those sorts of articles really interest me as both a pastor and voter. They interviewed and quoted both her former and current pastor and other staff persons at the Bible Church she attends.
As I read the article I had a twinge of unease. Should pastors be talking to the press about members' lives when they are now celebrities? It's a relevant question for me because occasionally a well-known person or very affluent person will attend Montecito Covenant. And as celebrity impressed as I can be, something inside says that they are in church to worship, not be observed and commented on. If I were to talk to the press about my impressions of why so-and-so came to our church, that would be a breech of pastoral confidentiality. What do you think?

6 Comments:

At 3:10 PM , Blogger Dan said...

Wow...never thought of this... but since you bring it up... my first response is to turn down the invitation to do such an interview.

BTW, our own Mike Johnson is now part of your team! Thanks for giving him this growth and ministry opportunity.

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Mike's your son? Cool! He seems really ready to go!

 
At 6:50 AM , Blogger kent said...

Yes they can interviewed as long as they say nothing they wouldn't say about another person in their church. They attend, they are a valued part of the church family, but nothing beyond that.

 
At 2:00 PM , Blogger Rick said...

Oooh, how tempting to the pastor's pride... the NYT wants to talk to me! My name will be in print - like Steve Martin in "The Jerk" when the new phone book comes out...

I would say similar to Kent, but only answer questions about the church, its faith and worship styles, not about any personal information known about the celebrity in question. But the more pressing question is the first one I mentioned, that is, why am I talking to the NYT or whomever? If I sense anything of pride or self-importance being fed by the opportunity, I'm probably better off (for the sake of my own soul) holding my tongue and saying "No thanks".

 
At 9:07 PM , Blogger Doug P. Baker said...

I reckon Obama wishes his pastor had never spoken to the press!

Don, your point about not being in church to be observed is right on! People in the public eye feel pressure to "perform" constantly. If there is one place that they should be able to take the costume off it is in church. Leave the cameras and microphones outside!

 
At 7:41 PM , Anonymous Rahab said...

Absolutely.....a Pastor should be the reflection of that of being quite unquie and transparent--therefore, he fits his place in ministry or not...BUT.....furthermore...., only as an acception; he (the pastor) should bare witness on all occassions to having a fullness and clear demonstrational knowledge....DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE JESUS MINISTRY....and the vulneralbe people at hand that have incredialbe needs....do you understand the word sin-vulneralbe individuals that are dying...if not......step out for someone else too serve--Jesus Creed Style-Observed .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker