Jibstay

Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Best Candidate Won!


When my dad was still preaching and teaching, we would make Sunday afternoon phone calls, to see how each other did. When my mom answered the phone, I'd ask how Dad did that day. Her response was uniform and predictable: "Your dad did such a fine job preaching today. He had so many affirmations!" For years I thought I was the only one who preached "dud" sermons. So one Sunday, after they retired and were living in Minnesota, and Dad preached somewhere, I called and asked the same question. My mom responded in the same way; "Your dad did such a fine job today. He had so many affirmations."
Then followed up and asked my mom if my dad ever preached a bad sermon in all her years of listening to him. There was quite a long pause on the phone and then she said honestly "No, I don't think he ever did preach a bad sermon." Then, going a step deeper I asked: "If he did preach a bad sermon and I asked, would you tell me?" She paused again, never having been asked that question and said: "No, I don't think I would." When I laughed she was surprised and asked why that was so funny. My mom has been so unquestioningly loyal to my dad over the years it would never cross her mind to say a critical thing.
I watched the debates tonight and enjoyed the interchange. But as I listened to the follow-up spin I wondered if we were watching and listening to the same debate. Then I remembered my mom and her deep loyalty to her candidate.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM , Blogger Dan said...

here's a first for us... my wife invited some friends over for diner and then to watch the debate together... then we muted the "follow-up" and talked about what we heard/ didn't hear etc... while we ate our desert ending the evening with a word of prayer.

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Sweet word! Thanks for a great idea!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker