Jibstay

Monday, October 27, 2008

Pastors' Day Off...email?


As you can see from my post below, I try pretty hard to make my day off a real day off. Living in a parsonage on the church property makes boundary-keeping difficult; not for the church or staff, but for me. The church staff really respects my day off and does not call or stop by unless there is an emergency. I try not to go into the office, except with the mail or to get something I needed at home. I dress sloppily and do not shave. I seldom wear socks on my day off to physically remind me I'm not working. From the post below you can see I utilize the beach and ocean. So my day's off are pretty good, until it comes to email.
Is answering email violating one's day off? Or is answering email clearing up my return to work on Tuesday, by shooting out responses on Monday? I'd really like to hear from others of you about what you do with the digital boundary: email. Do you keep your computer off all day? Do you wait until you return to work to check email? Or can you not resist opening email, just to see what someone says? What does that do to your quiet?

3 Comments:

At 6:03 PM , Blogger Dan said...

well... i don't really get that many emails in the first place so don't know what i'd do if i did:-|

 
At 6:28 PM , Blogger preacherman said...

I as a minister who currently lives in a parsonage make sure everyone knows that my days off are important. It is the time I spend with family. I believe that if I am not a good husband or father and neglect them, how can I be effective in ministry. I think it is so important for minister to really take days of and spend it with family, with God, showing God's love and grace to those who are dearest to us. If there is only one area in my life I would want to succeed in it would be my family. Thank you for this great post. Oh, yeah; no computer at all on days off. If you are on the computer then you really aren't spending time with family. You can wait a day or two. Again, great post. Keep upt the great blogging! :-)

 
At 10:10 PM , Blogger Isaac Johnson said...

I crackberry all the time on my iPhone. Hooking it to corporate exchange had the negative effect of letting office 24/7 (as I do now lying in bed). Ide say only read email from family on your days off. For many of us cube rats, it's easier because our home and work email accounts are seperate

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker