Jibstay

Friday, October 10, 2008

A Worship Tutorial: Exodus 32


Never have I felt such a kinship with the people of Israel wandering in the desert. I am both attracted to and repulsed by my need (urge) to be updated on the latest bad news from Wall Street or Washington DC. The once familiar landscape of investments and economic growth have dissolved before our eyes. The size of numbers makes me dizzy. When the people of Israel begin to grumble at Moses' absence in 32:1, it sounds familiar to the various campaign slogans about the need for "real" leadership.
And like the Israelites, I am so prone to make my own golden calf, something "I feel I need right now that I can control, manipulate and handle". All the while, God shakes his head again asking us; so when did I retire?

5 Comments:

At 11:46 AM , Blogger Dan said...

i lift my eyes to the hills (where those shrines for the 'golden calves' are built)
where does my help come form?
my help comes from the Lord,
maker of heaven and earth...

a worship tutorial indeed!

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Yeah!

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Kalon L said...

This feels as though it would be a very timely Sunday School topic. To explore the spiritual dimensions of trust in the midst of a hurricane. When is thinking through how to react a temperate and appropriate response, and when is it reflective of a desperate desire to keep in control no matter what?

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Let's visit over this during the open time between services tomorrow.

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Rick said...

I re-built a fence today that had been blown down by Hurricane Ike.

Sometimes you just ignore what everyone tells you and do the next right thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker