Jibstay

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Families: 1 Pastor:0


They wanted an Advent devotional to start the all-family Sunday school class. From the devotional time they would move to tables to assemble as families, Advent wreaths. When the incoming kids and parents saw the wreath-making stations around the gym, they immediately began assembling the wreaths together, eating muffins and talking with each other. Grandparents helped grandchildren, college students made wreaths for those whose homes were burned, youth made one for their youth group. It was noisy, fun and filled with energy.
I assumed I could interrupt this energy with my well-prepared talk on the history and symbolism of Advent. I did the work, made and outline, highlighted the key points. It would be brief and eloquent. But this was a group that had a momentum that could not be stopped, paused or hushed. They were not rude, but excited. They were having so much fun making their own memories, they had little interest in my words shaping them. So, after a few thoughts, I blessed them, and had a muffin!

2 Comments:

At 6:05 PM , Blogger Miss Elissa said...

Aw! It sounded like an interesting reflection! Perhaps it could feature on Jibstay?

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks, I'll consider that

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker