Jibstay

Saturday, November 15, 2008

From Behind We All Look the Same

Funerals are great gatherings of family who seldom see each other. Martha's sister's daughter is someone I have not seen in 15 years. When I saw Rachel and her dad Fred today, I introduced myself to them and we hugged and got caught up. The service for Martha's mom went very well. I shared some reflections about Ruth. We sang great hymns and read great texts. The pastor delivered a solid homily. Then we stood around and ate at the church. Then we left the church and all the relatives gathered back at the house and we ate and talked some more. It was genuinely fun.
Upon leaving, Rachel came up to me and hugged me and said something like "I'm sorry I didn't recognize you, but in church, all men look the same from behind!" Hmmm. What does that mean. All men over fifty? All balding white-haired men? All men in suits (a lot of them in Presbyterian churches)? All older men with stooped shoulders, dark suits, white hair with bald top-spots? I think I might need to grow a pony-tail!

4 Comments:

At 4:47 PM , Blogger kent said...

Uhhh, you know Don, I think that even from behind people could tell us a part. Just guessing really, but I am confident that if we stood side by side people could tell the difference.

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger Dan said...

he he... or we need to start building our congregational gathering spaces in the round!:-)

 
At 6:16 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

I double dog dare ya to grow a pony tail! :-D

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger E Erickson said...

I thought from the title, that this would be a relection on what our lives look like "at the end", since you are attending a funeral, but I think it's funny how the title means literally what it says - about people, not even addressing life/Christianity/humanness. Interesting perception...
Ellyn ERickson - do you really remember me?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker