Jibstay

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans' Day


In every village, in every church, in every town hall are plaques like the one above. This was in a church in a tiny little village in France where we went on a rainy Sunday to worship. Most of these plaques honor the young men who died in World War I, sometimes all the young men of a village. I do not know about war memorials in Italy, Germany and England, only France. They are sobering reminders of the high cost wars take on a land and people.
In a cynical age, trips to the countryside are good for the soul. When we visit with people there and they discover that my grandfather fought in World War I in France and my father in Germany, they uniformly stop and thank me for what my grandfather and father did to protect France and all of Europe. It was a really big deal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker