Jibstay

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Anitdote to Noise


My head's noisy. It cold be because next week our daughter is getting married here and I'm pretty wired about the first marriage of our children. We are also in the aftermath of the Tea Fire chaos, with lots of activity here (Westmont College overflow parking, neighbor meetings with architects, Wednesday dinners now over 125 people, and the regular ramp-up into Christmas with coffees and parties and dinners). Martha is focussed like a laser with huge lists getting done every day. Add to that, I'm a voracious reader of the New York Times, Drudge Report, Atlantic, Wired, Fast Company, Christian Century, Christianity Today, Los Angeles magazine, The Economist, and a news junkie on TV. I have allowed so many voices into my head that devotional quiet has become a real challenge until I discovered the writing of the guy pictured above: Francois Fenelon (a French Roman Catholic mystic/quietist 1590's).
Fenelon is a great antidote to the noise because he champions being quiet, still, calm. He was liked neither by the Roman Catholic magesterium nor by the Reformers. He befriended another like-mind, Madame Guyon and they wrote back and forth like St. Francis and Claire, or John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila. So now each morning I sit down with my coffee and have this long-dead French friend speak to my heart.

2 Comments:

At 6:15 AM , Blogger E Erickson said...

Good for you!!! I need to read something like that, too. But, instead, I've found the 13th century French story of a small juggler - the children's version was written by Tomie dePaola, "The Clown of God", which has always been a favorite of mine. The peace described in the monastery/chapel is one I like to simulate in my mind! Good luck with the wedding!
Ellyn Erickson
I missed the Smorg, too - sick daughter, and sooooo many other things going on that same weekend. I believe God creates a definite reason (like Natalie feeling sick) for me not to get caught up when things are so busy, even though exciting. I know it's hard for me to listen, but eventually I do - when it's as obvious of a priority as my children!

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks Ellen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker