Jibstay

Friday, January 30, 2009

Time: a friend of yours?


OK, I'm still chewing on "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and how ridiculous it was that time ran backwards for one man while forwards for everyone else! But it has caused me to mull all day on two ideas, one from a friend and one from a conversation with my dad. A friend of mine noted (even confessed) how trapped he got in isolated individualism. It's a pervasive condition in our isolated culture. In fact, our culture breeds both individualism ("You deserve a break today") and isolation ("Nobody will ever know"). These two things wreak havoc on my spiritual life. Both are lies: that I am alone and and that what I want at this moment really is most important.
Where does "Benjamin Button" come in? The clock. Is time your friend? Does time matter positively? Does history matter? Do you let history teach you? If so, how? Man pastors (myself included) often think that we don't really need history. I don't really need to know the story of the church before I came, because my arrival is the most significant time! I don't need to know about other churches, other denominations, other movements because....what I'm doing now is the apex of the curve. What a bunch of hooey! I need to know where I come from and where my church comes from and where our culture comes from. I need to get in more dialogical partnerships with those around me to keep myself connected...and alive.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 PM , Blogger Dan said...

I'd guess the "hooey" is also thinking I am who I am independently of all else. I am a self made person! That too is a bunch of "hooey."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker