Jibstay

Friday, February 27, 2009

Who Knows Your Song?

My good and deep friend Chris Brooks blogged today about discovering his identity. He tells the story of the African tradition of a newly pregnant woman going out into the forest with good friends till they discover the baby's "song." These friends, then, have a responsibility to remind that child of his/her "song."
That article triggered waves of thoughts about finding one's "song." I remember a lecture at North Park Seminary by the late Eric Routley, a famous hymnologist, who found the Covenant's song in the hymnal by turning directly to "Children of the Heavenly Father" and telling us why this song defines us at our core. I recall another scholar, Paul Westermayer, from St. Olaf and Luther Theological Seminary, visiting with the music leadership in Minneapolis. He told us that each congregation has its own "voice" like each person does. Some are sopranos and others are baritones. The job of the pastor is to find and bless the "voice" of that congregation. The voice of Salem Covenant is a far different voice than that of Montecito Covenant, so is their song.
Martha and I are voracious listeners of indy music. Some of it is odd, some distasteful and sometimes an artists song echoes in my heart. "That's it" I think..."They get it!"
I never quite understood my strong affinity for artists like Suzanne Vega, Bjork, Sufjan Stevens, Knut Reiserud, Bach, or Over the Rhine until now. They are singing my song(s). Who knows and who sings your song?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker