Jibstay

Friday, March 20, 2009

Sabbath Rest...at last!


Yesterday I experienced Sabbath rest for the first time in too long a time. On retreat at the Serra Center in Malibu, I was convicted that I was preaching something I did not model. I preach and believe in the sabbath, but then work all day Sunday and spend Monday mornings in the office, answering email and the cell phone. Oh I dress super-causally, but my mind in on work, productivity, assignments, contacts, and the multitude of stuff I need to get done. But I do not rest.
Yesterday Martha hi-jacked me and we drove to the Armand Hammer Museum of contemporary art in Los Angeles. On the way down we listened to music by Bon Iver and Andrew Bird. We walked through exhibits of modern LA artists; weird, whimsical, provocative. Then, for lunch, we drove to the Getty Museum for a long lingering lunch on the open-air patio. Then we strolled through some of their exhibits (portaits and Baroque paintings) then we had the cup of cappuccino coffee pictured above.
Even the drive home on the jammed 405 and 101 was fun, because we were together and had no hurry to get anywhere...and the ipod played on. Now I need to repeat sabbath regularly.

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM , OpenID ctlarson said...

Glad you had fun! I too have come to the realization (after our time at Serra) that I need to make Sabbath a sacred part of my week. It was good to be with you.
Blessings from NH,
Carolyn

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger Diana said...

HOORAY for Martha. Love the picture.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker