Jibstay

Friday, April 03, 2009

Hopeful


The sun is just beginning to rise on our last full day of the mission trip with the four guys, Mike and and Lisa. I have not had a shower in four days and I really miss my own routine. But what I am is hopeful and grateful. Why? As I watch these boys listen and process complex issues, even troubling and disturbing issues, I an excited about this emerging generation of leaders. These boys are not afraid to ask in-your-face questions and are not put off by jargon or lingo. They are boys who love to play, wrestle and compete at just about everything! They are comfortable with silence and they make great big noises suddenly.
They accept me, a 56 year old senior pastor with a week's worth of scruffy beard who does not always get their jokes. They love to pray (not so much sing). And they really love to eat (I think I gained 5 pound just watching them eat!). I look forward to seeing them go off to college, find vocation direction, discover relationships and use their gifts in the body of Christ. The horizon looks great!

2 Comments:

At 2:34 PM , Blogger Kalon L said...

This looks to have been a wonderful experience for everyone. Slightly different emphasis, perhaps, than the J2M trips (with their ethnic pairings), but the same eye-openers of a world in need.

 
At 9:30 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

The ethnic pairings would have been a great tool to continue cross-cultural discussions. But having a group of boys (with the exception of Lisa) also meant there was no gender distractions and an ability to freely banter.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker