Jibstay

Friday, May 15, 2009

Early Morning


We are staying at Isaac and Anna's house with Luke and his girlfriend Kelly. The memorial service last night was huge. From 4-6 pm several hundred people came to the church to pay their respects to my mom and the family. Friends from 40 years ago came up to catch up with me and tell how much my dad influenced their lives. Some of my peers are now retired! Yikes! What's with that?
The church provided us with dinner for the family and then we processed in to the sanctuary. The sanctuary was totally filled including the balcony. I'm guessing nearly 500+ people. Liz, who flew in from Atlanta with Jeff, played a beautiful arrangement of "Thy Holy Wings Dear Savior)
" on the piano. 27 area Covenant pastors sat as a group and then sang "Children of the Heavenly Father" to us as their tribute to dad. The grandchildren acted as pallbearers and carried their grandpa to the funeral coach. That was very moving to see the ones dad once held in his hands now carrying his body. Again we had refreshments and conversations and did not get out of the church till almost 10:30 pm.
Isaac & Anna, Luke & Kelly and Martha & I then sat around for a couple hours unwinding. What a joy to have adult children who are my friends. We talked till after midnight.
Like usual, I woke at 6:00 am and sat with my coffee, the only one awake and reflected on being a blessed person. Now everyone is awake and moving.
Now at 11:30 today we gather at Ft. Snelling cemetery for his military burial.

7 Comments:

At 7:37 AM , Blogger Laura. said...

are you guys in town? i would so love to see you. i know you must be so busy, but i miss you and martha! i should give her a call rather than just stalking you guys on your blog. :)

 
At 7:37 AM , Blogger Laura. said...

"are you in town?"=silly question.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Yes we are in town, heading to the cemetery and then to my brother's house for lunch and afternoon. Call me after `12:30 on my cell

 
At 10:34 AM , Blogger Diana said...

Sounds like a remarkable evening in every way. I am so glad! Blessings as you bury your dad today. I will never forget my own dad's burial - a service which I assembled and led - in a driving rain, on a steep hillside, with just our immediate family of about 20 people. It was right out of Wuthering Heights! The two cemetery attendants literally stood behind me with umbrellas open to the fierce wind, trying to keep me dry while I led the service. So much drama for such a quiet man! It is both wonderful and exquisitely difficult to leave a much-love father to the ground. Looking forward to the 'resurrection of the body' that's for sure!

 
At 3:44 PM , Blogger E Erickson said...

it was a wonderful display - and well-deserved! Your dad was an inspiration, and I have no doubt that you and your siblings will make sure his legacy lives on.
I hope he's up in Heaven having rice pudding with my Grampa and Grandma now!!!
It was soooo great to see you all!!
You are very blessed! Hope you still feel that when you arrive home!

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger Rick said...

I have thought of you many times in these days and pray for God's peace to surround you all. What a beautiful tribute you describe.

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Ellen, email me your address so I can thank you for those wonderful seeds you gave us

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker