Jibstay

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Norbert-isms


I delayed heading back to Minneapolis for my dad's funeral by one day due to the threat of high winds and a possible evacuation (again!). All day long there was the constant sound of helicopter wings thumping through the air, delivering water bags to the far canyons where fire crews were trying to knock down the remaining hot spots of the Jesusista fire.
The thump, thump, thump of helicopters is taking a toll on me. It reminds me of this imminent threat of another fire outbreak and possible evacuation. So I left the campus and headed to the beach with my ipod playing Knutt Rieserud's guitar/organ duets and my journal, to remember my dad.
I found a rock with an indented "seat" where I perched for a long time. What came out were sentences that my dad either said or implied. Here is some of the essential Norbert-isms we who knew him understood:
"Let's agree to disagree"
"Know who you are....and whose you are"
"Loving is better than winning. Never burn your end of the bridge"
"As a pastor you can go anywhere to anyone. But always remember that you belong to no one place"
"Hug the fat persons as well as the pretty persons"
"The good music will always last"
"Candles, coffee and water"
"Spitting well and throwing stones far is ultimately manly"
"Always read, always grow"

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM , Blogger kelly ann said...

I really like those sayings, very neat. From what I've heard, he seemed to be a great and caring man.

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Yeah

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker