Jibstay

Friday, June 26, 2009

Boomers + Gen "Y"


I knew there was something funny out there. I had so much more fun with the young, recently graduated college students than I did with folks who were more my age, parents of confirmands and high schoolers. I attributed both the cohesion and friction to personalities. One guy just did not trust anything I said and dismissed me with a "whatever!" while another young guy came into my office and said "I completely don't understand why you wear robes and stuff, but I am so loyal to where you are going, I'll do whatever it takes."
Now a study was just published in the most recent Harvard Business Review titled How Gen Y & Boomers will reshape your agenda by Hewlett, Sherbin and Sumberg. It studied 3,782 college graduates in 2008 and then re-surveyed them again in 2009 and found four major similarities:
1. a desire to contribute to society through their labor
2. seek flexible work arrangements
3. value social connections at work and loyalty to a company
4. prize other rewards of employment over monetary compensation
It also employed a new acronym: KIPPERS (Kids In Parents' Pockets Eroding Retirement Savings). They found that Boomers who contribute to their adult children do so at the average amount of $471 in direct relief!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker