Jibstay

Monday, June 08, 2009

Simplicity and Contentment


I love sitting on the couch with the computer connected to wi-fi and writing blogs about things that fumble around in my head. Only we had a power-outage due to construction after the Jesusita fire and the wi-fi was disconnected. This was last Thursday. I called both Cox Communication to get the cable modem back up (talking with a computer voice for 45 minutes) then another half-hour with an Apple tech guy from Canada who got the Airport eExtreme (pictured above) back up and running. But it went out again Saturday morning. I tried re-doing it through all the internal prompts and screen instructions for a couple hours...no luck!
Monday I took the Airport Extreme in to an authorized Apple repair shop. Sure enough, it was broken and two years old and out of warranty. But my laptop has AppleCare so they told me to go to the Apple Store in Santa Barbara to see if my AppleCare would not get me a new Airport Extreme. Long lines because of the new iPhone on sale. But they quickly told me that they would not replace the old equipment. So I bought a new one for almost $200 with the assurance it was plug-n-play.
I went home and followed the instructions from the cd in my laptop....nothing. It would not work! I called our tech guy from church to come by. An hour later...no luck. I had to go for a walk. I felt way too stupid.
Late in the afternoon I called AppleCare and a calm guy (again from Canada) talked me through a whole series of maneuvers to rest the modem and manually restart the wi-fi box. This time it all worked. But I still feel technologically stupid and in awe of people like my sons who routinely fix these sorts of problems and worse for friends and, for Isaac, a huge corporation.
It made me think about simpler days with a thermos of coffee, some books and a pad of paper!

2 Comments:

At 9:39 AM , Blogger Isaac Johnson said...

An idea to save you the hassle of all the power cycling (power off/power on in order) and to save your equipment, consider getting a battery backup/power regulator.

The cheapest APC unit i could find is at Worst Buy (APC - 550VA Battery Backup System - Black
Model: BE550G | SKU: 9307788 ) for $60. It's essentially a good surge protector and battery backup (65 hour).

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker