Jibstay

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fasting for Today?


Matthew 6:16-18 is one of my least preached on texts; where Jesus calls us to fast differently. I fast differently. I hardly ever fast! So it was work to explore what fasting means beyond not eating. Fasting gets my attention off me and on to God. Food is very distracting. When I asked some friends about what makes them NOT eat, the answer came whispered back "Hardly anything". We are a food obsessed culture in a hungry world. We munch our way through the day, grabbing little bites of this and that till we head off to bed. No wonder we battle obesity. When do we stop?
In the sermon tomorrow I'm going to suggest 7 practices that could be a modern-day fast of that which distracts us from God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker