Jibstay

Saturday, August 29, 2009

2 gates 2 trees 2 foundations


I'm concluding the summer preaching series: "Summer on the Mount: Jesus tells it like it is" with Matthew 7:13-29. In this test Jesus sets out three sets of 2's: gates, trees, and foundations. The altar-piece graphically portrays 2 trees: a fruit-bearing blood lime tree and a pulled-up, dried-out thistle bush. Thistles grow with no work and untended. Limes take continual work; watering, pruning and fertilizing. But the fruit is worth it.

6 Comments:

At 9:51 AM , Anonymous lovesroses said...

Actually, Don, isn't that an artichoke? A burned branch might be a better example? Artichokes die back and then reappear with a little water. (I have read that they will only do that for three years - a biblical number). However a burned branch might have not worked either - on the way back over the pass I notice that the eucalyptus trees are growing green 'fuzz' along their trunks. They will be back with a little rain. As we drove along the lower Oregon coast, wondered if you have seen that yet.

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

I'm not sure. The property owner who gave us the weed called it a "thistle" as did my gardener-wife. We wrestle each week with the best images to help with worship. Thanks for your comments.

 
At 7:10 PM , Anonymous lovesroses said...

Try http://En.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Artichoke

 
At 8:14 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Thanks. We checked Martha's botanical books and you are right, the artichoke does belong to the larger family of thistles.

 
At 8:42 PM , Anonymous lovesroses said...

Sorry for bringing it up - when you are right, you are right

 
At 9:27 PM , Anonymous karen@mtnimage.com said...

Sorry, Don, my bad... I love artichokes and have a bunch in my yard. I am sort of like Eeyore... I love to eat thistles and it gives me a sore tongue... and as Paul says, it is an unruly member of the body. I apologize.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker