Jibstay

Monday, August 03, 2009

Swimming with Dolphins: a drive-by


One of my new routines this year is afternoon swimming at Butterfly beach. A community of beach people has included me (along with Martha and my family). I set up my beach chair, read magazines till I'm warm enough and then wade into the water for a good, long swim out to the buoys.
But mid afternoon almost each day a pod of dolphins swims by; either going east toward Carpinteria or west toward Santa Barbara. Usually they are too far out to swim to. But today, one of the guys spotted some dolphins swimming west to east, heading our way. One of the women immediately grabbed her fins and said "Let's go say HI". I joined her and we swam vigorously out beyond the buoys next to the kelp beds and waited. She began to sing to them, welcoming them to her. Before I knew it, three dolphins cruised by us, not more that 10 yards away. They did not stop as she hoped they would, but swam closer to me than ever before. Needless to say, I'm still kind of high on endorphins from being that close to these magnificent animals!
When we got back to the beach, they asked how close we got to them. She said, "It was just a drive-by."

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM , Blogger Kalon L said...

What a treat!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker